01 02 03 A Couple of Pounds: One Kings Lane / Mixing Vintage with New 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

One Kings Lane / Mixing Vintage with New

34



I was thrilled when I got an email from the mega online store One Kings Lane, asking if I would write a post about how I mix vintage decor in with my new things. For those who are unfamiliar with One Kings Lane, they are a website that has flash sales that change daily. I discovered them a while ago and think they have some incredible stuff. If you've never drooled over their website, you should take a few minutes to do that (after you finish reading my post, of course!). They have an awesome new Home Decor Resource Guide that explains the different periods of decor style and furnishings. If you've ever wondered what category your decorating style falls into, you'll most likely find it here. You can also get tips and tricks for decorating particular rooms and using your space to the best of its ability. 

I have always thought that there's no particular rules in my decorating. I know what I like and sometimes they are completely opposite things. I like vintage. I like new. So I mix the two. 

We bought our home 3 years ago and since then, have remodeled most of it. I think I am finally coming into the style that reflects me most, even though it's taken changing things a lot (especially lamps. Don't get my hubby started on how often I change lamps). :) If I described my style, I think it would be eclectic and quirky. My husband says I'm quirky. Which doesn't bother me at all. I'll take quirky. 

A few things I consider for mixing vintage (or looks-like-vintage) with new would be: 

~ Mix "fun" (not just new) with the old to avoid having a stuffy or "grandma-ish" room (unless your grandma has really great style, and then that's ok). :)  I think this rug adds a "fun" element to our room. When we were rug shopping, Hubby said this rug was "quirky". Decision was made. Our vintage chandelier (original to the house) and our vintage-looking leather recliners and coffee table are balanced out with the more modern yellow couch and rug.


~Mix patterns. As you can see, I have stripes, flowers and solids in the room.

~A small dose of vintage goes a long way. We recently added that pretty little vintage lingerie chest you see to the side of the couch. It's great for DVD and CD storage (and to keep remotes out of the twins hands!).


~Accessorize with both old and new. The wreath above the lingerie chest is made from vintage sheet music. I've mixed in vintage and new books to decorate as well.




~ Mix in some modern art. I had this canvas made recently of one of our family Christmas photos, and I think it keeps things new.


Throw in a little fun with some popular subway art.


Like I said, there's no particular rules in decorating, as long as you live with a things that reflect who you are and what you love. It's all about balance.

Don't forget to check out One Kings Lane. I'd like to hear from you if you find something great! I couldn't resist this pillow:


til the next time,
the girl who is pondering a new lamp..... :)

Linking up at Inspire Me Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life, Wow us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style, Mod Mix Monday at Mod Vintage Life, Fabulously Creative Friday at Jennifer Rizzo

Labels: , , , , ,

35 36 37 38